/ / Palace Geyerswoerth: photos, description (Residenzschloss Geyerswoerth)

Palace Geyerswoerth: photos, description (Residenzschloss Geyerswoerth)

Castle Geyerswoerth is located near the Old town hall in the Bavarian city of Bamberg. Long time there lived a noble Nuremberg family Geyer from the area of Vert, hence the name of the castle.

In 1580 the land was purchased by the Principality of Bamberg-bishopric. The old buildings were destroyed and in their place in the years 1585-1587 was erected the present Palace complex consisting of five separate wings. Since Geyerswoerth became the residence of princes-bishops, and also served as city offices until 1705, when he built a new Episcopal residence.

The first Prince-Bishop who lived in the castle, was Ernst von Mengersdorf, whose monogram is carved on the entrance to the courtyard. There are several coats of arms of the city, which decorated the portal of Old town hall, and the new, in the Rococo style, depicting St. George on horseback.

The Palace was distinguished by a rich interior, but, unfortunately, nothing authentic was not maintained. Now the room is designed in a style reminiscent of the Renaissance, and the only room with original features - vaulted hall on the ground floor. On one of the walls is absurd satirical image related to the period of development free art.

In the years 1623-1632 with the direct participation of the Prince bishops of Bamberg Geyerswoerth broke out the witch hunt that claimed the lives of over 600 innocent civilians. During the Thirty years war, the castle was looted by Swedish troops, and for a long time no one lived.

Since 1904 Geyerswoerth passed into the possession of the city of Bamberg. Today it hosts receptions at the highest level, and meets the Department of social welfare of the city. The interior spaces are closed to tourist visits, with the exception of the tower, the top of which offers a wonderful view of the city. To climb up, it is necessary to overcome the 132 steps.

Every year in the Palace Park hosts wine festival, which includes a complimentary tasting of the best wines of the region.