/ / Palace Griesbach: photo description (Schloss Griesbach)

Palace Griesbach: photo description (Schloss Griesbach)

Palace Griesbach is located in bad Griesbach im Rottal in the Bavarian region of Passau. The modern version of the castle was erected in the years 1810-1817 in place of the destroyed medieval buildings. Today it houses the office of the district.

The first mention of the castle Griesbach dated 1076 year, however, in the year 1078 it was destroyed during the conflict between the Holy Roman Empire and the papal throne, and its owners were exiled to Hungary, from where they returned only in 1099. At the beginning of the XII century it was rebuilt and passed into the possession of the counts Griesbach, whose race was interrupted in 1220. Succeeding many owners, the castle in 1241 became the property of the Bavarian pfalzgraf, and they, in turn, appointed to manage the castle of the Ducal governors. Since Griesbach served as the Prince's representative in the area.

In 1460-1474 years the castle was rebuilt, were added to the gates, and towers. During the war for Landshuts the inheritance between the two lines of the wittelsbachs in 1504 Griesbach, unlike other castles in the region, remained intact.

The castle was badly damaged in the middle of the XVIII century during the war of the Austrian succession (1740-1748.), but was quickly rebuilt.
In 1799, in Griesbach was temporarily housed the regional court, and then the Treasury. But in 1805 the building was burned to the ground. Administrative offices were moved to the nearby Palace of Ortenburg. In 1810, on the remains of the foundations of a medieval building was erected two new buildings, and in 1817 one of them again is the Department of the Treasury. In 1858, another room was attached to the prison.

Further restructuring was carried out in 1912 - was completed the upper floor. Later in the Palace Griesbach is the district administration.

To the North-East is the Church of St. Michael, made in the year 1500 in late Gothic style. Previously, she was the castle's chapel and now serves as a chapel at the cemetery. It is particularly interesting for its dome in the form of follicles, typical Bavarian churches. The bridge connecting the temple and the Palace, was dismantled in 1822.