/ / The kurfürstliches Schloss castle: photos, description (Kurfuerstliches Schloss)

The kurfürstliches Schloss castle: photos, description (Kurfuerstliches Schloss)

The kurfürstliches Schloss castle, built in Baroque style and is situated in the heart of Bonn, in the German Federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Until the Napoleonic wars it served as the main residence of the Cologne archbishops, and from 1818 functioning as main building of Bonn University Friedrich Wilhelm.

Earlier this place was located the castle, built in 1567-1577 years, also served as the residence of the electors. During the war of Palatinate succession in the course of the siege of Bonn in 1689, it was completely destroyed. Since 1697, work began on the construction of a new building. Already in 1700 in the West wing of the Palace was opened as a chapel. I wonder what the service was conducted by Catholic and Protestant rite. Now in this part of the building is the Assembly hall of the University. The construction was finally completed in 1705. The appearance of the castle is reminiscent of the Spanish Escorial.

In the years 1715-1723 was erected adjacent to the Palace is a huge Park. In 1744 over the southern gate was installed by a gilded statue of the virgin Mary Queen of Peace, who later became the patron Saint of the University. In the years 1751-1755 was built Koblanska monumental gate, which is part of the East wing. The three-story building made in the Baroque style, it housed a gallery, and it served as the meeting place of the knights of St. Michael. That is why the construction is crowned by a Golden statue of the Archangel.

15 January 1777 in the Palace suffered a fire that severely damaged the Palace and claimed many lives. Restoration was postponed, it was only slightly renovated facing the Park wing. There was also a ruined chapel, and in 1779 the Palace chapel is located in the East wing.

In 1794 cuhuresti was abolished after the Napoleonic wars, the Rhineland became part of Prussia, and in 1818 the Palace and Park complex became part of the University of Bonn.

Reconstruction of the burnt down after a fire in 1777, buildings were only in the 1920-ies. Based on the original plans, 1697, the architects managed to restore the damaged wing and to complete the fourth corner tower.

In 1944-1945, the city of Bonn and the University building was badly damaged during the bombing. By 1951, the complex was restored.

At the moment the Palace is the main building of Bonn University, it is the seat of administration and hosts the faculties of Humanities and theology. Palace Park - Hofgarten - a popular place among students. Every summer in July there is held the ceremony of awarding diplomas. At the same time, the Hofgarten is the place of political rallies and demonstrations in the Park, for example, there was a peaceful demonstration against nuclear weapons in 1981. And the patio in August is held the international film festival.

The complex of the electoral Palace and the Hofgarten Park is a protected monument and protected by law.