/ / Palace bridge: photos, description (Schlossbruecke)

Palace bridge: photos, description (Schlossbruecke)

Palace bridge in Berlin connects the two banks of the river spree and is located in the heart of the city - on the famous Unter den Linden Boulevard. This bridge is undoubtedly one of the most recognizable monuments, and in addition, it is quite often found on postcards and posters that represent Berlin in the world. The bridge was built of stone, his built in 1821-1824, and the project created the famous architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Originally, this place was a bridge of wood, which was called Dog.

The construction of the bridge in the 15th century was associated only with the need to carry over the spree of building materials from which were built the first Berlin City Palace. And the name of the Dog he received later, when it went hunting with their dogs of the aristocracy. This bridge was chosen for his entry into Berlin, Napoleon in 1806.

The first stone in the construction of the new bridge marked the beginning of the arrangement of the large area to the City Palace, but at the same time, due to this and the bridge itself became a Palace. The tragic story is connected with the first opening of the bridge, which on the occasion of the wedding of the crown Prince of Prussia was opened unfinished. During the resulting stampede nearly two dozen people died, although, according to historical data, had not reported to the wider public.

In 1857 the bridge was installed 8 sculptures that marked the victory in the liberation wars, but Schinkel, who conceived this architectural course, did not live up to these days. In the 20th century the bridge was strengthened, and the riverbed widened. During the Second world Schlossbrucke, surprisingly, was not injured, and in 1943 the Germans took the sculptures by removing them from the pedestal, in order to avoid destruction.

In the postwar years, the bridge was in the GDR. In the early 50-ies of the bridge repaired, and upon completion of works it was decided to rename the bridge. Now bridge them. Marx and Engels in the updated form was waiting for the unification of Germany, although in 1983 the managed negotiations for the return of the German sculpture, which was restored and installed on the bridge. In 1989, the Palace bridge got new lights.

The last renovation was in 1995, in a United Germany, and today the bridge is of interest as a monument of architecture, but, nevertheless, he performs and their direct functional duties.