/ / Dominican monastery: photos, description (Dominikanerkloster Eichstaett)

Dominican monastery: photos, description (Dominikanerkloster Eichstaett)

Dominican monastery of the Bavarian town of Eichstätt was established in 1271 by the sister of the Bavarian Duke Ludwig the Strict. The construction is largely sponsored by the German bishops. The income generated in the sale of indulgences, it was to build a monastery.

In 1366 there was a fire that damaged the building. However, it managed to recover. In the XV century patron Saint of the monastery were the apostles Peter and Paul. The monastery in Eichstätt was one of the largest Dominican monasteries in the region, and its heyday lasted until the XVI century. But in 1589 the crisis began, largely instigated by the reformation, and in the monastery there were only two or three monks. Appeared financial difficulties, which were solved with the sale of rare books for their monastery library. Then came the Thirty years ' war, after which restoration work began that lasted until the end of the XVIII century. In 1644 was erected brewery, in 1661-1662 was rebuilt the Northern and Western wing of the monastery.

The main Cathedral, consecrated in honor of the Holy Martyr Peter the Roman, was completed in 1279, it is made in Gothic style. The Church is an elongated building with a flat roof, just above the choir was vaulted ceilings. The interior of the Church, except the main altar 1386, has not survived. In 1714-1723, the Church was rebuilt in the Baroque style, at the same time painted the ceiling of the Church. The virgin Mary statue on the portal of the main facade of the Cathedral is dated 1688 the year. In 1716 the Church was a crypt.
The cloister dates from the XIV century, in the early seventeenth century it was completed arcade in the Baroque style.

Almost since its inception, the monastery functioned a school of theology, where he passed eight years of training novices. The monastic library was one of the largest and numbered up to 100 thousand volumes. After the secularization of 1806, the convent was used as a school. From 1966 to the present day there is a higher music school.

In 1822, the main temple was re-consecrated and functioned as a chapel at different schools, located in a former monastery. However, in 1918, in the East wing, a terrible fire broke out that severely damaged the Church, which then collapsed its spire. The building lay in ruins until 1975, then it was divided into two parts: one is the Assembly hall of the gymnasium, and in another a Capella in front of her.