/ / Jewish cemetery: photos, description (Juedischer Friedhof)

Jewish cemetery: photos, description (Juedischer Friedhof)

The Jewish cemetery in the Bavarian town of Bayreuth was opened only in 1787, although there is documentary evidence that Jews lived in this city since the XIV or XV century. Originally they were buried in the neighboring cities, where there was a Jewish cemetery, for example, Beiersdorf. The first funeral in the heart of Bayreuth passed in 1786, and the official consecration of the ground took place a year later.

Cemetery located in the Eastern part of the city between the street Bundesstrasse (house 2) and the railway line Bayreuth-Nebelwald". The cemetery area has been increased several times, most recently in 2008. At the moment there are about thousands of graves, including the grave of Joseph Rubinstein, a descendant of Russian Jews and a famous pianist who worked with by Richard Wagner.

Old tombstones are mostly made of marble and granite, the inscriptions on them are written in Hebrew, while the more modern gravestones found in German. Another difference between the plates of the XX century - they are often depicted the Star of David - known Jewish symbol is the six-pointed star. In the cemetery is also a lot of obelisks, and some graves surrounded by columns.

In the XIX century were built the house to conduct washing of the body before the funeral, which in Jewish tradition is known as "Tahara". During the Third Reich for fear of persecution by the Gestapo, there was hidden a local Jewish family. In 1944 was ordered to use the gravestones as construction material for temporary settlements, but the city authorities have complied with the order only partially, disassembled for the cemetery wall. However, some of the graves and the so-called "Tahara house was damaged. It was restored in the late XX century, and about the same time, in 1995 there was erected a memorial, consisting of three marble slabs and made in the memory of the Jewish victims of both World wars and the Nazi regime. On the Central plate is engraved in Hebrew a sacred text from the Book of the prophet Ezekiel.