/ / The Episcopal residence of Eichstätt: photo description (Residenz Eichstaett)

The Episcopal residence of Eichstätt: photo description (Residenz Eichstaett)

The Bishop's residence is on the square, Residenzplatz the Bavarian town of Eichstätt and is a masterpiece of architecture of the Baroque era.

The city was under the control of the bishops since the early middle Ages. Since their residence was situated close to the Cathedral of St. Willibald, the first building was built in the XI century. It was known as the "Old Bishop's courtyard". From the XIV century, it housed the treasure of the Cathedral, as the Bishop's residence was moved to the newly built the willibaldsburg castle.

In the winter of 1633-1634 years during the Thirty years war Eichstätt was captured by Swedish troops, which almost destroyed the city. Many buildings were burned, including the Old Bishop's courtyard. After the war it was decided to build the rebuild, work began in 1700.

The first two wings - West and East - were built in the next 2-3 years. The South wing was completed only after 1714, its construction involved the well-known architect of the period - Gabriel de Gabrielli. Outside this building was erected a fountain, named Marienbrunnen.

The interior of the Palace complex is decorated in the Rococo style. Especially noteworthy is the Central staircase with a graceful, fanciful railings. Ceiling painting made on mythological themes, the greatest interest is the fresco depicting the fall of Phaeton with the sun chariot of Helios. In 1768-1769 years in the West wing was a dazzling hall of mirrors.

In 1802, the Episcopal office was abolished in connection with the secularization of Church lands, and in 1806 Eichstätt became part of the Bavarian Kingdom. Since 1817 the Bishop's residence, lived the family of eugène de Beauharnais, Napoleon's stepson. Since 1855, and at the moment there are a variety of judicial and administrative authority. Some of the rooms are open to the public, one of them now art gallery artist Carl Otto Muller, nicknamed "the German Cezanne".