/ / The Klopp castle: photos, description (Burg Klopp)

The Klopp castle: photos, description (Burg Klopp)

The Klopp castle is one of castles of the middle Rhine valley and located in the Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The castle dominates the town of bingen am Rhein.

The first military settlement on the site Dating back to the days of Ancient Rome, namely, to 10 BC, the fortification was built by the Roman commander, a Druze Senior and was named after him - Dusenburg or Crosisborg. However, the first official mention of the castle falls on the 1105 or 1106. According to local legend, this castle was a place of detention of Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV during his conflict with his own son, also Henry.

The first mention of the castle under its present name - Klopp - refers to 1277, and was built to last, a medieval version of the castle. Since the beginning built in 1240, the Klopp castle was in the possession of the servants of the Church, but also served as an important customs post for collecting duties. In 1438 the town of bingen am Rhein and the Klopp castle was passed into the possession of the Chapter of the Cathedral city of Mainz.

In XVII century the castle fell into disrepair, and during the Thirty years war, was destroyed. In 1653 the castle was rebuilt, but during the war of Palatinate succession in 1689, French troops again severely damaged the castle. And during the war of the Spanish succession in 1713, the Klopp castle had been completely destroyed, not to be captured by the enemy. Engravings of the XIX century show that only ruins of the walls, leading from the city of bingen am Rhein in the castle, which was crowned with the ground.

In 1815 the ruins of Klopp castle became part of the Grand Duchy of Hesse, then a private property and changed many owners, among which worth mentioning a lawyer Herman Faber. He began restoration of the castle, especially the walls and towers. On the top floor of one of the towers he has equipped his office with the modern furniture of the XIX century. Even then, the gate tower of the castle was used as an observation deck.

After the restoration of the castle Klopp began to enjoy a marked popularity in the mid-nineteenth century it was common for new fashion - style architecture of historical romanticism, which once belonged to the castles of the Rhine valley. In 1844 the castle was painted by the famous English artist William Turner. By the end of the XIX century the castle was visited by more than 75 thousand people.

Global reconstruction of the castle began in 1853, was rebuilt gate, the bridge and the main tower - Bergfried, component 26 meters in height. In the years 1875-1879 was added to the building in neo-Gothic style in 1897 houses the city administration. Since the middle Ages, preserved only the Foundation of the fortification wall and towers.

Converted Bargfrede for a long time housed the Museum of city history, but since 1998 the Museum moved to the former power station, located in the port town. The castle is also a gourmet restaurant.

Ride on a boat past the Klopp castle and other castles of the Rhine valley is especially interesting at night on the first Sunday of July when the festival of fireworks "Rhine in flames".

Since 2002, all the castles of the upper Middle Rhine valley was included in the list of monuments of cultural heritage of UNESCO.