/ / Marksburg castle: photos, description (Marksburg)

Marksburg castle: photos, description (Marksburg)

Marksburg castle is one of castles of the middle Rhine valley and located in the Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The castle rises above the town of Braubach and served as an important strategic post in the Rhine valley. This is one of the few castles that wasn't destroyed during numerous wars and has preserved its original appearance. The castle is a masterpiece of architecture of the late middle Ages.

The first fortification on this spot was built in the year 1100, and after 17 years, it was rebuilt in a castle. The castle was owned by the influential family of Eppstein, among which we can distinguish the archbishops of Mainz and Trier. The first mention of the castle Marksburg refers to 1231. He has served as an important customs post.

In 1283, the castle passed to the count von Katzenelnbogen and was rebuilt in the Gothic style, in this form it has reached our days. In 1429, this count's line was broken, and the castle went to the counts von Hessen. In connection with the advent of firearms, the castle was again rebuilt, and the outer wall was added to the round tower.

During the Napoleonic wars the castle was handed over to the ally of Bonaparte to the Duke of Nassau, who used the castle as a prison and house of charity for disabled veterans. After the Austro-Prussian-Italian war of 1866 the Duchy of Nassau became part of Prussia, and with it, and Marksburg castle. In 1900 the castle was acquired for 1000 gold marks by the German society of castles, an organization created a year earlier with the purpose to preserve the castles of the country. Since 1931, the Marksburg castle is located the headquarters of the organization.

It is worth noting that for a long time the castle bore the name of the city, of which he was the castle Braubach. But in 1437, the castle was opened to the chapel, consecrated in honor of St. Mark the Evangelist, and from the end of XVI century in the official documents of the castle started to be called the Marksburg.

Marksburg castle has survived in the same form as after the rebuilding in the fourteenth century. Traces of the Foundation of the original building, designed in Romanesque style, however, a greater number of structures refers to the late-Romanesque and Gothic styles. Main tower (Bergfried), consisting of four floors was erected in the years 1237-1238. The Bergfried is interesting in that its lower part is wider. This structure had the best view from the top of the tower.

To the North of the tower the residential part of the castle. In the main hall, also made in late-Romanesque style, now are offices of the German society of locks.

At the moment, the Marksburg castle is open for visitors, it is a Museum. The dwelling of the castle consists of a main hall, office, child's bedroom and a mistress on the upper floors and the chapel on the fourth floor of the tower. Among other areas it is necessary to note a wine cellar in the Gothic style, kitchen on the ground floor with wine press 1767, the Armory, where weapons seem to be even during the Gallic wars, the torture chamber and the stables. In the castle there are also two gun battery on the North side of the castle from the Rhine.

Ride on a boat past the castles of Marksburg and Lanek especially fun at night on the second Sunday of August when the festival of fireworks "Rhine in flames".

Since 2002, all the castles of the upper Middle Rhine valley was included in the list of monuments of cultural heritage of UNESCO.