/ / The mouse castle: photos, description (Burg Maus)

The mouse castle: photos, description (Burg Maus)

Castle mouse - one of the castles of the middle Rhine valley and located in the Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. He towers over the village Wellmich, which is part of the city of Saint-Goarshausen. Next to the castle Maus castle, Katz, and their names are translated from German as "mouse" and "cat" respectively.

The construction of the castle began in 1356 and lasted about thirty years. The castle was owned by the archbishops of Trier. They competed for influence over the area with the family of the counts von Katzenelnbogen, who owned the nearby castle Katz. Mouse castle was not only strategic and defensive value, but in the second half of the XIV century and was the residence of the elector of Trier.

Castle Maus was captured by the enemy army, unlike the neighbouring castles, but fell into disrepair in the eighteenth century. Repairs were made only in the years 1900-1906, but was met historical accuracy. During the Second world war the castle was damaged in the shelling, but was soon restored.

According to local legend, the name of the castle was due to one of the counts von Katzenelnbogen, who compared the castle with "the mouse that eats the cat". Themselves as the builders of the castle had planned to call him "the Saint of Petersen, and on the left Bank of the river to build a second castle of St. Petersburg", but this plan was never executed.

From the castle mountain mouse protects its main tower - Bergfried, component 33 meters in height, and on the territory of the courtyard is another residential tower. Another living space, which was the main hall consists of three floors. The upper floor housed the castle chapel. In the Northern part of the territory of the castle there were outbuildings, which are currently in ruins.

For a long time the castle was placed the famous bird house, inhabited by owls, eagles and falcons, and visitors satisfied with the bird shows. But at the moment the poultry yard in the castle of Maus is closed.

Since 2002, all the castles of the upper Middle Rhine valley was included in the list of monuments of cultural heritage of UNESCO.