/ / Castle Pfalzgrafenstein: photos, description (Burg Pfalzgrafenstein)

Castle Pfalzgrafenstein: photos, description (Burg Pfalzgrafenstein)

Pfalzgrafenstein castle stands on a small island of Falkenau in the middle of the Rhine near the town of Kaub in the German Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. For one hundred years, the castle served as a customs post, as the nearby castle Gutenfels. The castle is famous not only for its unique location, but also to those that survived numerous wars and remained intact.

The castle was built in 1326-1327 by Holy Roman Emperor Ludwig IV. In the years 1338-1340 it was built around a defensive wall with a height of 12 meters. The castle represents in plan is an elongated hexagon.

In 1607 the castle was strengthened by adding corner turrets and artillery battery. In 1755, the main tower (Bergfried) was topped with a roof in Baroque style. Since the height of the tower is 37 meters.

A kilometer from the island passed the rapid, so the ships sailed this area with special care. Moreover, in this place across the river stretched the chain, forcing ships to stay put and pay customs duty. This gave the castle Pfalzgrafenstein and the nearby town of Kaub strategic importance. In the XIX century with the development of technology this threshold is eliminated, the current has leveled off, and the strategic importance of the castle disappeared.

In the winter of 1814 the castle Pfalzgrafenstein used for ferrying sixty thousandth of the Prussian army of Gebhard von Blucher, Napoleon's pursuing.

In 1866 the castle became part of Prussia, and a year later resigned the customs office. From this point he was about a hundred years functioned as a lighthouse. In 1946, the castle passed into the possession of the Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. Later the castle was restored and transformed into a Museum. During renovations, the castle was repainted in the XVIII century. The castle is presented in the form in which it was in the XIV century, so there are no technical innovations such as electricity and Sewerage. To get to the castle Pfalzgrafenstein by ferry from the city kouba, shipping depends entirely on weather conditions and water levels.

The Bergfried consists of six floors, the top floor has a room in the castle and his family. And the bottom floor is a dungeon, where they kept the dealer not wanting to pay customs duties. During strong floods the dungeon is under water. The castle garrison was small and consisted of about 20 people.

Since 2002, all the castles of the upper Middle Rhine valley was included in the list of monuments of cultural heritage of UNESCO.