/ / Castle Reinstein: photos, description (Burg Rheinstein)

Castle Reinstein: photos, description (Burg Rheinstein)

Castle Rheinstein - one of the castles of the middle Rhine valley and located in the Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. It stands on a ridge with a height of 90 meters and is part of the municipality of Trechtingshausen.

The castle was built in the early XIV century and for a long time was known under its original name - Fanburg or Pitsburg. It is still unknown what of the spellings is historically correct. In some sources it is alleged that this castle was built a century earlier and was named after St Boniface, the patron Saint of the bishopric of Mainz. Other sources claim that the name contains the word "Vogt", saying that the castle belonged to the Viceroy of the Emperor. In any case, upon completion of restoration works in 1829, the castle was renamed and since then it is known as castle Reinstein.

Presumably, the first building of the castle in this place was built back in 900-1000 years. The castle belonged to the archbishops of Mainz, but in 1286 was destroyed by a gang of robbers and 4 years later was sold to Kurfurst Palatinate. The castle was rebuilt in 1316-1317 years with the purpose of protecting border areas. In 1330 the castle was rebuilt, but in 1344 lost its strategic importance as Kurfurst relinquish possession of this castle and returned it Minzu.

In the XV century the castle stayed archbishops-electors of Mainz. In the late fifteenth century an attempt was made to restore the castle, but he had already experienced a period of decline. At the end of the XVI century died his last owner, and the castle was in ruins. In those same years, during the war of the Palatinate inheritance seized the castle by French troops were not even his to destroy like the other castles of the Rhine valley, because he was already in poor condition.

The castle again became interested in 1816 - it drew the attention of the famous German architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, a supporter of the style of "historical romanticism" in architecture. A year earlier, the Rhineland became part of Prussia. In 1820-1821 the years this area was chosen by the Prussian Prince Frederick, and in 1823 he purchased the ruins of this castle, and commanded Schinkel to carry out restoration work. In 1829, the castle got its new name - Reinstein and became the summer residence of the Prince. In the castle at the time were Queen Victoria and the last Russian Empress Alexandra Feodorovna. In the years 1839-1844, was built guest house and a chapel in neo-Gothic style. In the crypt of the chapel are buried the family of the Prince.

Until 1953, the castle hosts Reinstein were descendants of Prussian princes, it was then put up for sale, but were purchased only in 1975, German singer Hermann Chehera. The castle was not in the best condition, but with the help of the authorities he managed to recover. Restoration work was carried out for about 30 years.

Despite the fact that castle Rheinstein is privately owned, it is open to the public. The castle is a popular venue for weddings. And in April-may and September-October are held every Friday night excursions to the castle. Also interesting fireworks "Rhine in flames", held on the first Saturday of July.

Since 2002, all the castles of the upper Middle Rhine valley was included in the list of monuments of cultural heritage of UNESCO.