/ / ELTZ castle: photos, description (Burg Eltz)

ELTZ castle: photos, description (Burg Eltz)

The ELTZ castle is situated in the Federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate. He stands on a cliff 70 metres above the Moselle river between Koblenz and Trier. The castle was built in the XII century and is still the residence of the same family, and 33 generations ago. ELTZ castle - one of the few castles of the Rhine valley that was never destroyed.

The oldest part of the castle - surrounded by a palisade fortified building in Romanesque style, Dating from the IX century. To the year 1157, the fortress gained strategic importance, as it stood on the site of the passage of the historic trade route. When the ELTZ castle was first mentioned in an official document, namely darialeroy the diploma of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. As witnessed by "Rodulfus de Elze". At the moment, from the constructions of that time have preserved some of the dwelling and the main tower - Bergfried, made in late-Romanesque style.

The only military action that has undergone the Burg ELTZ castle came to 1331-1336 year, when the owners of the castle along with some of the knights opposed the territorial policy Baudouin Foundation Luxembourg, elector and Archbishop of Trier. For castle siege, he ordered to build on the next, a high cliff fortress siege, Trucell, the ruins of which have survived to this day. Cut off from the outside world, the castle lasted more than two years, but eventually gave up. Baudouin left the Burg ELTZ castle and its owners, but made them their vassals.

The castle consists of 8 floors, 8 towers, 30-40 feet in height, and over 100 rooms. All in the castle were about 100 people. ELTZ castle is interesting in that it had three heir of the same genus, because they could not afford to build each in a separate castle. The castle was divided between the three brothers Elias, Wilhelm and Teodorica in 1268, and the three parts of the castle got its name - welcomes its guests into, Rubenach, Rodendorf.

Rubenach building was finished in 1472 and is executed in Gothic style. House Rogendorf was built in 1490-1540 the years and is also made in the late Gothic style. The house welcomes its guests into was built in 1604-1661 years in the style of Fachwerk. Thanks to its architectural composition, ELTZ castle acquired the picturesque view, famous throughout the world. And under the stairs is a large well that supplied water to the castle.

During the war of the Palatinate inherited the French troops had destroyed nearly all the castles of the Rhine valley, but castle ELTZ escaped this fate because its owner Hans-Anton von ELTZ served in the French army and had a high rank. In 1845-1888 years underwent large-scale restoration works, while the result of these works has preserved the original appearance of the castle. 20 Sep 1920 in castle a fire broke out that damaged the chapel, archive room, several rooms of the house and welcomes its guests into the top room of the house Rodendorf. Restoration work lasted for about 10 years.

Since 1815, the castle has only welcomes its guests into a family, the current owner is the representative of the 33 generations of the ELTZ family lives in Frankfurt am main. Part of the castle that belonged to the houses Rubenach and Rodendorf, turned into a Museum and open to the public. Tours are conducted from 1 April to 1 November.

In the house Rubenach it should be noted weapons of the XIX century, a salon and a bedroom with a chapel 1531. The house Rodendorf is to visit a fireplace room with rich furnishings in the Baroque and Rococo, the main so-called "knight", a hall where the celebrations were going all three families, children of 1525, which has preserved the last bed in the Renaissance style and three kitchens. Among other exhibits not to mention picture of the Cologne and Saxon artists, including "Madonna and child" by Lucas Cranach the Elder, Flemish tapestries, Chinese and Delft porcelain, Italian ceramic oven, 1881, and other ceramics.

Treasure of the castle ELTZ is situated in the former premises of wine cellars belonging to the house Rubenach, and consists of approximately 500 exhibits from XII to XIX centuries. Among the exhibits it is worth noting the articles of gold, silver, porcelain and glass, as well as the collection of the XVI-XVIII centuries.