/ / Jesuit Church: photo description (Jesuitenkirche)

Jesuit Church: photo description (Jesuitenkirche)

The history of the building of the Jesuit Church in Trier began in 1228, from that time until 1570 it was the monastic Church of the Franciscans. After the dissolution of the monastery the building was transferred to the Jesuits and consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity. In this capacity, the Church lasted the next two centuries until the dissolution of the Jesuit order in 1773.

In Trier he lived his last years a famous German Jesuit, theologian, writer and poet Friedrich Spee von Langenfeld. In 1635 he was buried in the crypt of the Jesuit Church, the crypt with the memorial Board is saved up to today.

In 1779, on the orders of the elector of Saxony, the building was transferred to the Episcopal Seminary and served as a Seminary Church. After a short period of closure and use as a warehouse for the French revolutionary troops, from 1795 to 1798 in the Church again services were held. In subsequent years, the building of the Jesuit Church were passed on to different Protestant communities of Trier. Only in 1857 the Church was again part of the Seminary. As such, it still exists today.

As a result of restoration of the Jesuit churches 1988-1993 was restored the altar of the virgin Mary, built in 1727, elegant arch with floral motifs and other memorable elements of the interior. Stained glass Windows by artist Reinhard Hess, established in 1951, in perfect harmony with the medieval sights the Jesuit Church.