/ / The Mariahilf chapel: photos, description (Mariahilf-Kapelle)

The Mariahilf chapel: photos, description (Mariahilf-Kapelle)

The Mariahilf chapel located in the West of the Bavarian town of Eichstätt, on the street Westendstrasse, 68. The original building dates to the XV century, and the interior decorations were made in the Baroque style in the XVII-XVIII centuries.

Initially the Mariahilf was built as a private chapel for the local clothiers, whose workshops in the city was more than 800. Near the Church gets a small source of water which were recognized as saints, and here began to flock to the pilgrims.

During the Thirty years war in 1634 the Church was burned by Swedish troops, and rebuilt only in 1656. It was increased in size through the accession of an elongated choir in the Gothic style. Perhaps then it was a crypt, where you just beat the source of Holy water.

In 1744 Gothic choir lost its graceful arches, and the interior of the chapel took Baroque appearance. Also was colorfully decorated ceiling of the Church, now supported by elegant pilasters. At the same time the chapel received a new name - the Mariahilf, preserved to this day.

As the Church stood at the source of Holy water, its interior finish and decoration were made on this theme. The Central painting on the ceiling depicts the allegory of the Holy spring, that heals the sick and afflicted of the city.

The main altar in the Rococo style in 1760, but belonged to another Church located in the nearby town of Neustadt-an-der-Donau. That Church was destroyed, and the altar was moved to Vienna in 1942. Side altar image of St. Anthony of Padua and Holy Family date back to 1656. In the chapel is preserved the old organ, made in 1887.

The facade of the Church was redesigned in 1784 and since then remained unchanged. In 1858 and in 1942-1943 was a large-scale restoration of the interior of the Church, and the choir returned to the elements of the Gothic, and Baroque elements. The last renovations took place in 1992-1993.

Behind the chapel runs a picturesque canal, where they still fish. Traditionally, since the middle Ages, on every Holy Thursday is trout fishing.