/ / The Chapel Of St. Spirit: photos, description (Heilig-Geist-Kapelle)

The Chapel Of St. Spirit: photos, description (Heilig-Geist-Kapelle)

Evangelical chapel of the Holy spirit located in the Hessian town of bad Sooden-Allendorf. It was founded by monks from the order of the Hospitallers of the Holy spirit and was part of the monastery, the first mention of which dates to the XIV century.

Initially functioned in the monastery hospital for patients with plague and leprosy. He later turned into a shelter for urban homeless, but also served as a haven for the sick and infirm monks.

The Church consists of only one nave, transept (cross aisle). As before there contained a contagious disease, the house is surrounded by a high wall. The main portal of the chapel is in the Gothic style, is preserved an old oak door. Opposite the entrance, in the Northern part of the temple is preserved the tombstone of the year 1371, owned by the mayor of the city of Erfurt, buried at the monastic cemetery. The main altar of the chapel dedicated to the Holy Elizabeth was completed in 1363. Earlier to the East of the Church was adjoined by a Gothic apse, where the choruses, but already in the XV century it was destroyed.

The building of the chapel was United with the monastic hospital, but to prevent the spread of infection, in the Church itself places patients was separated.

Struck the roof of the Church had to be redone in 1716, then over the front door was opened a small elegant window.
The chapel is famous for its ancient frescoes, executed in the XIV-XV centuries. After the reformation, when the Church was Evangelical, they are all smeared with white paint, but thereby was able to protect from fire and dampness. In the early 50-ies of XX century painting were recovered.

Fresco 1350 devoted to the story of the parable of the ten virgins and placed on the North wall of the Church. The rest of the murals date back to the XV century and performed at various gospel topics: Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, the Crucifixion, the passion of the Christ, etc. Given pictures of various saints Barbara and Catherine on the North wall, Elizabeth and the Archangel Michael on the South. It is worth noting that almost all of the murals have been preserved in its entirety, with the exception of the paintings on the upper sections of the walls, depicting scenes of the last judgment.