/ / Bamberg Cathedral: photos, description (Bamberger Dom)

Bamberg Cathedral: photos, description (Bamberger Dom)

Bamberg Cathedral is one of the Imperial cathedrals of the country. It is located near the Old town hall and the symbol of the city. At the beginning of their history on the site of the temple was located a building, which was converted into a Basilica by order of king Henry II in 1004. In the year 1007 was created diocese of Bamberg, it was done on purpose in order to contribute to the spread of Christianity in these lands.

In 1012, the Cathedral was consecrated, but in 1081 year suffered from a major fire, the restoration work ended in 1111. The trials for the Church is not over, after 74 years he had to endure another fire in which it was decided to demolish the structure. In the XIII century on the site of the Cathedral once again had a temple erected in the Gothic style and decorated quite modestly.

At the corners of the temple are towers of different heights. Despite subsequent adjustment, over time the appearance of the structure is almost not changed, and modern trends have affected only the interior. So in 1678 the decoration of the Cathedral and its altars were decorated in the Baroque style and has not changed almost to the middle of the XIX century.

Currently, the Cathedral is the main landmark of Bamberg, it is decorated with numerous statues and sculptures, which have become classics of the art of medieval Germany. In the Central portal are the song entitled "the last judgement", created in the XII century. In the Eastern side of the Cathedral is the portal "the Gate of Adam, creation of his was engaged in the XIII century sculptor from Reims, whose name is unknown.

A three-aisled Basilica is adorned by two covered galleries. One of them is the famous equestrian statue of the "Bamberg rider" 1230. Many historians tried to establish the identity of the person who was the inspiration of the rider, but until now no one succeeded. In one version of this image of the Hungarian king Stephen. In the Cathedral is buried the Emperor Henry II and his wife Kunigunda St., still as the patroness of the city. Tombstone of both spouses was made by the sculptor T. Rimensnyder in 1513. The temple is also buried Pope Clement II, a former local Bishop.

When the Episcopal Cathedral has a Museum which houses a collection of sacred objects and the Imperial robes.

Since 1993, the Cathedral is listed among the world heritage sites of UNESCO.