/ / The Cathedral of STS. Martin and Stefan: photo description (Mainzer Dom)

The Cathedral of STS. Martin and Stefan: photo description (Mainzer Dom)

Construction of the Cathedral began in Mainz in 975 by the Archbishop of Villages, and ended mostly in 1239. Construction work was delayed for more than two centuries and a half due to several major fires. This building was crowned the Holy Roman Emperor Henry II, Conrad II and Frederick II.

An imposing Central tower of the Cathedral and its both side towers in the years 1767-1773 designed in the Baroque style Ignaz Michael Neumann. A massive bronze door wing on the North side of the Cathedral date back to approximately the year 1000.

Striking the interior of the Cathedral: two choirs of enormous size - one Romanesque, the other of a later period; along the Central nave there are frescoes depicting the life of Jesus Christ; around the columns located the tombstones of the archbishops of Mainz, including a late-Gothic tombstone of the work of Hans Bakarena on the tomb of Archbishop Jakob von Liebenstein, who died in 1508. On the right is the cloister with a fountain. The great oak chair in the Rococo style, created by Franz Anton Hermann in 1767, surround the altar.