/ / The Leipzig Gewandhaus Philharmonic: photos, description (Gewandhaus)

The Leipzig Gewandhaus Philharmonic: photos, description (Gewandhaus)

The Leipzig Philharmonic, the Gewandhaus is located in the historical center of the city, being located 750 metres from the Market square. The beginning of its existence dates from the year 1781, when the Philharmonic hall was built for orchestra so talented architect Johann Carl Friedrich Dowth. The name "Gewandhaus" means "cloth house". This is due to the fact that earlier this place was located a shopping arcade, where they sold cloth.

With the Leipzig Philharmonic orchestra is associated with the names of many famous composers, including Mozart, Strauss, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Brahms. Their musical work was first performed by the Gewandhaus orchestra. In the period 1835-1847 years conductor of this remarkable ensemble was Felix Mendelssohn.

In 1884 it was rebuilt, the new building of the Philharmonic, the prototype for which was a concert hall in Boston Symphony Hall. On new project home to the Gewandhaus orchestra worked Smeden Heino and Martin Gropius. Until 1944 the Leipzig Philharmonic attracts the eyes with its beauty, but in that year it was destroyed during one of the bombings. Despite the proposals to restore the building in its original form, it was decided to build a new concert hall. 8 October 1981, the opening of the renovated Philharmonic, the Leipzig Gewandhaus. Currently it is located near the Opera house of the city.

A new concert hall was designed by architect Rudolf Skoda, and Volker Sieg, Eberhard a Comes and Winifred with Scivolato. This magnificent building is designed for 1,900 seats in the great hall with excellent acoustics. Small room able to accommodate up to 498 people here are usually held chamber concerts.