/ / The Margrave Opera house: photos, description (Markgraefliches Opernhaus)

The Margrave Opera house: photos, description (Markgraefliches Opernhaus)

The Margrave Opera house is located in the Bavarian town of Bayreuth. It was built in 1744-1748 years and is one of the best preserved old German theatres.

The construction of the theater was dedicated to the Margrave's daughter's wedding and is a masterpiece of the so-called "Bayreuth Rococo". Wooden interior decoration made in the style of late Italian Baroque. For the construction were answered by the court architect of Hohenzollern Joseph Saint-Pierre, which served as the sister of the Prussian Emperor Frederick the Great Wilhelmina.

The main stage is the deepest in the whole of Germany, its depth reaches 27 meters. It is almost completely preserved from that era, with the exception of the curtain - it was removed by Napoleon's army in 1812, just before the beginning of the military campaign in Russia.

It is interesting that the Royal box in the theater is often empty, because the Margrave couple preferred to watch the performance, sitting in the front row. After the death of margravine Wilhelmina in 1758 interest in the theatre in Bayreuth faded more than a hundred years.

In 1872 the court Opera house has attracted the great composer Richard Wagner, however, he ordered to build the city's other theatre, and in the North appeared Bayreuth Festival theatre. Start of construction was marked by a colourful ceremony, during which the Margrave's theatre was made by the famous Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Conductor was made by Wagner himself.

At the Opera house also hosts various festivals since 1994 the Easter festival, and since 2000 - the Bayreuth festival, Baroque, reserved on Sept. In June 2012, the theatre was declared a monument of world heritage of UNESCO.