/ / Mill St. Gereon: photos, description (Gereonsmuehle)

Mill St. Gereon: photos, description (Gereonsmuehle)

Mill St. Gereon is one of the few surviving parts of the fortress wall of the city of Cologne, the German Federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Often this name is used generically and applies to the entire area of the medieval masonry, amounting to 113 meters in length. The mill is a slightly modified one of the towers.

During the middle Ages, namely - since 1180, the city was surrounded by a massive wall, consisting of 12 gates and 52 towers. In 1815, when the Rhineland became part of Prussia, built the second row of the fortress wall. But according to the world of Versailles in 1918 that ended the First world war, all fortifications in the city had to be destroyed. Therefore, the walls and bastions almost nothing left.

The preserved part is located in the district Cologne-Altstadt-Nord, North of the city centre. The wall consists of two towers, one of which in the XV century was converted into a windmill. It got its name because of the nearby Catholic Church of St. Gereon, the oldest Church of the city, built in the fourth century. Before the city wall continued to the gates of St. Gereon, which has not survived. The other tower is not altered, and it resembles the tower of the Fort Ulrepforte, another defensive structure, located in the southern part of the city.

During the Second world war was destroyed about 95% of the Cologne, and with the 50-ies began a large-scale repair work on the restoration of the cultural monuments of the city. In 1954, a medieval architectural complex was rebuilt with the assistance of an architect Hans Schilling. One of the towers of the fortress wall is now part of a residential house, which belonged to Schilling.

About mill St. Gereon was a Park on the territory of which in 1959 was the memorial to the victims of the Nazi regime. It is a bronze sculpture of a woman with a dead child in her arms.