/ / Memorial Church to the memory of Russian soldiers: photos, description Russische Gedaechtniskirche)

Memorial Church to the memory of Russian soldiers: photos, description Russische Gedaechtniskirche)

Memorial Church to the memory of Russian soldiers was established to honor those Russian soldiers who died in 1813 during the battle of the Nations near Leipzig. Troops of Russia, Austria, Sweden and Prussia defeated Napoleon, thus putting an end to his domination in Europe.

The monument commemorating the battle was erected a hundred years later, near it was built a Church in memory of more than 20 thousand Russian soldiers who fought bravely and were killed during that terrible battle. This memorial Church has another name - St. Alexis Church.

The construction of the building in 1913, was engaged by the architect Vladimir Pokrovsky, and all work was carried out at the expense of people's donations, not only Russian, but also German. It is a beautiful tent-roofed Church that has one bulbous dome and square-shaped. Its height is 65 meters, and the Church has great similarities with the Church of the ascension, Kolomenskoye is located in Moscow. On the massive tower with the dome is eight-pointed cross, and the Church bell tower with seven bells.

The interior of the temple resembles the decoration of the time of the XVII century, is placed seven-tier iconostasis, which was donated by the don Cossacks. Deputies of the State Duma of Russia in the memorial Church is 800-kilogramme chandelier with lamps of colored glass, arranged in five rows.

In the Church building there is also the temple of small size, which bears the name of St. Panteleimon. It was consecrated in 1930, it was here are made everyday and evening services. At the entrance are memorial plaques, where the German and Russian languages described quantitative loss of soldiers of countries that participated in the battle of the Nations.