/ / The Wiblingen monastery: photos, description (Kloster Wiblingen)

The Wiblingen monastery: photos, description (Kloster Wiblingen)

The Wiblingen monastery, or the Benedictine Abbey of Wiblingen situated in the southern suburb of Ulm. This huge complex of different buildings, only recently became part of the city, on the former grounds of the monastery are housing the medical University of Ulm and several municipal buildings serving the Catholic Church and the Museum-library.

The Wiblingen monastery was founded by brothers Otto and Hartmann Kirchberg before the First crusade in 1093. The first building was consecrated in 1099 and then from the First crusade the counts of Kirchberg brought a valuable relic — a piece of the cross on which Christ was crucified. Today this legendary founders trophy is kept in the monastery Church, attracting many pilgrims.

In the centuries that followed, the monastery was repeatedly destroyed in the war, burned, was looted and destroyed buildings and stored values, so the original construction of the Abbey have not survived. The erection of the preserved complex of buildings in the late Baroque style began in 1714. In 1806 the monastery was dissolved and is no longer reborn in this capacity, and in the former Abbey housed the Doge's residence and military barracks.

Particularly noteworthy is the room of the monastery library, built in 1744. Originally this room was intended for the reception of distinguished guests and had to hit them with its splendor and solemnity. Now the beauty of the frescoes in brush of Martin Kuhn and the elegance of sculptures by Dominic Gerberga serve as a worthy framework for the tens of thousands of valuable books, manuscripts and incunabula.