/ / Monastery Selingan: photos, description (Kloster Soeflingen)

Monastery Selingan: photos, description (Kloster Soeflingen)

Three kilometers to the West from Ulm city centre, in 1258, the Earl of Dillingen in the former suburban village of Selinger was founded by the eponymous convent. Since its inception, the monastery Selinger was the largest and most influential Abbey of the order of clarissas. This women's monastic order founded by St. Clara of Assisi, was under the special patronage of the popes and received considerable privileges, e.g. exemption from paying taxes. The Statute of the order was quite strict: prayer, poverty, and seclusion. The construction of the monastery Zeglingen the time to fully comply with these principles: clean lines, no frills and decorations.

History of the order of Clarissa knew the UPS and downs, persecution and patronage, the schisms and the reformation. All this had an effect on the position of the Ulm monastery. Particularly, he suffered as a result of the Thirty years war: Zeglingen was almost completely destroyed, and the nuns took refuge within the fortified walls of Ulm. After the war ended in 1648, the monastery began a large-scale construction. Then was built the only extant building of the monastic Church of the assumption of the virgin Mary. The appearance of the Church in the early Baroque style has been preserved intact, and the interior, except the main altar was changed in 1821.

In 1803, the monastery Zeglingen was dissolved, and its territory was organized the field hospital. And by 1818 all the monastic buildings except the Church was demolished.