/ / Monastery Rebdorf: photos, description (Kloster Rebdorf)

Monastery Rebdorf: photos, description (Kloster Rebdorf)

Augustinian monastery Rebdorf at the Old mill is located in the Bavarian town of Eichstätt. The first mention of the area dates back to 1055, and 1063 here was consecrated the first Church. In 1153, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire Frederick I Barbarossa gave these lands estetska Bishop, in 1156, construction began on the Augustinian monastery.

The monastery played an important role in the development of currents of humanism in the Renaissance. But in the early XVI century in connection with the spread of reformation ideas of Martin Luther, it was decided to disband. The monks were resettled in the neighborhood built in 1460 Augustinian monastery Marienstein.

In the XVII century the building was badly damaged during the Thirty years war, and in the eighteenth century the complex was rebuilt in Baroque style. In 1730-1731 the years in the former premises of the Prelate was colorfully decorated hall for solemn receptions, and the facade of the building was decorated in the Rococo style. A year later, was restored Romanesque Church of St. John the Baptist. Behind him is a graceful complex of buildings with arcades, known as "the Gabriel-Hof" ("the Yard of Gabriel"), named after the architect who led the restoration of the monastery, Gabriel de Gabrielli.

After the secularization of Church lands in 1805 the monastery lost its meaning and has changed several owners, among which worth mentioning Aug Beauharnais, the son of Eugene Beauharnais, Napoleon's stepson. Since 1855 on the monastery grounds workhouse, serves as a bed for the builders of the railway, lies near the monastery.

In the postwar years it housed a Lithuanian school for Soviet immigrants, then the former monastery served even a police station. In 1958 land was purchased by the mission of the sacred heart of Jesus, opened its boarding school. In the beginning of the XXI century the building was returned to the Catholic Church, and the coming of Rebdorf now has about 1,800 people, including the neighbouring district Marienstein.

The monastery is famous for its library, containing books not only on religious themes, but also scientific treatises. By 1800, the monastic collection comprised 30 thousand volumes, 800 manuscripts, and even some ancient medieval books published before 1501 (incunabula), which, for example, is the famous Gutenberg Bible. Unfortunately, the library was plundered by the French revolutionary army, and many books scattered through Europe and North America.

The interior of the main temple of the monastery were restored according to the plans of the XVIII century, finally the work was completed in 2013. The crucifix in the main altar refers to 1519, and in the side altar stands a Gothic sculpture of the virgin Mary. The Church organ made in 1979. In the bell tower 6 of 7 bells are modern, and only one was cast in 1504.