/ / The monastery of the heart of Jesus: photo description (Kloster Herz Jesu)

The monastery of the heart of Jesus: photo description (Kloster Herz Jesu)

The Augustinian convent of the heart of Jesus was founded in the Bavarian town of Eichstätt in 1711. Its establishment was facilitated by the ruling family in the city of bishops Knebel von Katzenellenbogen coat of arms which decorate the facades of buildings. One of the representatives of this noble family became the abbess of the monastery and remained in this position for about forty years.

The main Church was completed in 1723. It is made in Baroque style and is a brightly decorated building with a rounded facade and dark dome. For the construction of the Episcopal court answered the architect Gabriel de Gabrielli, and the decoration was done by Johann Georg Bergmuller, one of the greatest fresco masters of the era. It was he who painted the dome of the Cathedral.

In the monastery there were about 33 of the sisters of the novices. In addition, on its territory was opened a few schools for girls: the so-called "external" school, which was visited by a city resident, and "internal" boarding school designed for young girls of the nobility. The training program consisted of basic skills - reading, writing, counting, music, the Word of God and the household. For representatives of the more noble layer of society was carried on French language courses and given minimal knowledge of arithmetic and geography.

Through its activities aimed at improving education in the city, the first monastery escaped the dissolution in connection with the secularization of Church lands, 1802. However, the curriculum was under the control of the state, and the arrival of new novices was now impossible.

In 1809 the monastery was finally closed and the building became private property and has changed many owners. Since 1814 it housed the stacks of the city library, and in a hundred years the monastery opened a Museum.