/ / The Kaiser Wilhelm bridge: photos, description (Kaiser-Wilhelm-Bruecke)

The Kaiser Wilhelm bridge: photos, description (Kaiser-Wilhelm-Bruecke)

The Kaiser Wilhelm bridge in Trier connects the two banks of the Moselle river: on the East side is the former monastery of St. Martin, on the Western Bank the bridge is out on a steep city street. The Central pillar of the bridge on the Moselle is a small island, protected by the state.

In the seventies of the 19th century, the need for the construction of a second bridge in Trier via the river Moselle became absolutely obvious. Given the importance of preserving the urban landscape and the natural landscape had been a long controversy about the future location of the building and a competition for the best project. They even considered the option of a steel suspension bridge, which was rejected as not fitting into the overall architectural appearance of the countryside.

In 1913, construction was completed on the Kaiser Wilhelm bridge project winner Professor Meissner from Darmstadt. In the same year took place the solemn opening and consecration of the structure, the remainder of the story on the films of the first shooting. The construction represents the construction of reinforced concrete mixed with natural stone, so that the bridge does not contrast with the ancient Roman bridge and adjacent historic buildings. The originally planned sculpture on one of the pillars of the bridge has not been created. In 1945, German soldiers blew up the bridge of Kaiser Wilhelm during the retreat, but soon after the war the bridge was rebuilt and slightly expanded.