/ / Natural history Museum: photo description (Naturkunde-Museum)

Natural history Museum: photo description (Naturkunde-Museum)

Museum of natural history is located on the street Fleischstrasse in the Bavarian town of Bamberg. It was founded in 1791, the local ruling Bishop, and was at first a so-called "Cabinet of rarities", very common in the age of Enlightenment. It was submitted to the natural science collections on botany, Zoology, Mineralogy, paleontology and Geology.

Soon, the Museum moved to the building of the city University of the Jesuit College, where he is now. The Museum was opened not only for students and professors, but for everyone.

Despite the closure of the University, immediately followed the secularization of Church lands in 1803, the Museum has ceased its operation, but, on the contrary, has expanded its collection. Many of his finds were given to the Museum of the famous German diplomat Julius von Minutoli, who traveled to Spain, Turkey, and Iran.

Now the Museum is the property of Foundation of the Lyceum of Bamberg. There are up to 200 thousand exhibits. Particularly interesting is the collection of different varieties of fruit and berry plants, for example, cherries and Apple trees that only existed in the XVIII-XIX centuries, and now no longer grow. Among the other exhibits worth noting the collection of insects, fossils of the Jurassic period, of minerals and minerals discovered on the territory of the Federal state Bavaria.

However, the greatest interest is the historical collection of rare birds, locating in specially designated "bird" room. The rarity is that this room has remained unchanged since the XIX century and is thus a kind of "Museum in the Museum". Hall occupies two floors, it was made in the early classicism style in 1810, and for many years was held here University classes. It is unknown why it was never upgraded. In the beginning of XXI century the hall was restored, and then the room returned to its original white-blue.