/ / The Museum of fine arts: photos, description (Museum der bildenden Kuenste)

The Museum of fine arts: photos, description (Museum der bildenden Kuenste)

Museum of fine arts is the historical value of the city of Leipzig. It was founded in 1858 thanks to the support and initiatives of various publishers and agents, and bankers and entrepreneurs. The basis of the art collections was the collection of individuals, among which were exhibits of painting of the XIX century. The Museum made a gift of famous people such as Alfred Tim, Maximilian speck von Sternburg and Adolf Heinrich Sletter.

Over time the collection was enlarged thanks to other talents. One of the last substantial investment in the cultural Foundation of the Museum was the collection of French paintings transferred by Hans Peter Buhler and his wife in 2004. Among the paintings we can find works by Claude Monet and Jean Baptiste Corot.

The first building for the Museum of fine arts was built in 1858 thanks to the works of Ludwig Lange, who decided to create a Palace in the style of the Italian Renaissance. But, unfortunately, during the military actions of 1943 it was destroyed. For this reason, the collection for over forty years, has exhibited in the Museum Dimitrov.

In 2004 it was decided to build a new building for the Museum of fine arts. It was designed by architects Peter Putze, card of Hufnagel and Michaela Rafaelian. The building is in the shape of a glass cube with many terraces and stairs reflects to some extent the architecture of the passages of Leipzig. In the process of Museum design were involved materials such as glass, oak, limestone and concrete.

Currently among the collections of the Museum you can find paintings, sculptures and graphics not only of modernity but also of the late middle Ages. Of particular interest are the collection of Dutch, Italian and German painting of the XV-XVIII centuries, French paintings of the XIX century.