/ / Museum of German Freemasons: photos, description (Deutsches Freimaurer-Museum)

Museum of German Freemasons: photos, description (Deutsches Freimaurer-Museum)

Museum of German masons, located in the Bavarian town of Bayreuth, is the largest of its kind. Here you can read the history of this movement, with its most common symbols and rituals. There is also a collection of items of clothing and decor that belonged to the local Masonic Lodge since its Foundation in 1757. One of the most important exhibits is the original emblem of the society of the Bavarian Illuminati in 1776.

The Museum building itself is located in the Park Hofgarten, the New Palace. Originally there was an old Margrave chicken house, where in 1849 located city Masonic Lodge. The dimensions of the room were too small for the large Assembly of people, and the old building was demolished in 1881, and three years later the building was rebuilt. In this form it has survived to this day. The construction was directed by architect Carl Leffel, who worked on the construction nearby of the Villa Wahnfried, which belonged to the famous German composer Richard Wagner.

In 1902, at the meeting of the Grand Masonic Lodge in Constanta, approved building Hofgarten will be transferred to the bookseller George Niranjala, which, in turn, founded the Museum of the history of Freemasonry. In 1912, the Museum has opened a rich library that stores all sorts of research on the development of the Masonic movement, the author of which was the famous Masonic Grand master. A year later, the Museum has owned the entire library of the Bayreuth Masonic Lodge. At the moment there are about 19 thousand volumes, even more thousands of documents stored in the Museum archive.

With the coming to power of Hitler in 1933, the Masonic lodges were dissolved. The building of the Museum in Bayreuth was first plundered, and then it housed the local national socialist administrative center. After the war this house for some time been used for housing, then under pressure from the us authorities were returned to the society of Freemasons. The Museum resumed its activities in 1955 and operates today.