/ / Salt Museum: photos, description (Salzmuseum)

Salt Museum: photos, description (Salzmuseum)

The salt Museum is situated in the Hessian town of bad Sooden-Allendorf. It was opened in 1979 and tells the story of a thousand-year history of salt production in the region.

The Museum is housed in a historic half-timbered house with the sundial in 1705. Previously, there was the local organization responsible for the transportation of salt and anti-smuggling. Considering that salt has long been considered the "white gold", the price of it was prohibitive, and because the smuggling of salt was not uncommon.

In the Museum's collection can be found in various documents, including "Salt Bible" (Salzbibel), consisting of 2,000 pages and written by landgraviate order. It dates from 1565 year and in that time served as chief scientific treatise on the subject of salt production. It is worth noting that, though this is not an original manuscript, and one of the many copies, this is the only copy of the book, exhibited in the Museum. Other versions of the book are kept in the public libraries and archives. In addition, a rich collection of engineering drawings, diagrams and drawings.

Among other things, the Museum reflects the development of methods and techniques of salt mining for many centuries, the authentic instruments. Also survived salt mill 1638.

In 1866, Hesse was annexed by Prussia, and from that moment the production of salt gradually disappeared. Finally, the work was stopped in 1906. The idea of an educational Museum was first announced back in 1916, but the plan was only implemented after more than half a century. It is worth noting that the Museum would be open, if not for the activities of the local history of the organization. Now the Museum owns the city administration.