/ / Mouse tower: photos, description (Maeuseturm)

Mouse tower: photos, description (Maeuseturm)

Mouse tower is a stone tower, standing on the same small island on the Rhine near the town of bingen am Rhein. Tower is less than 25 meters in height.

The first military fortification on this spot appeared in the times of Ancient Rome. Then this territory became part of Franconia. Tower has repeatedly collapses and recovers, and in 988 was once again rebuilt at the behest of the Archbishop of Mainz Gatton II. In 1298 the tower was again rebuilt and acquired the official status of the customs office and was responsible for the collection of tribute from passing merchant ships. She also served as a signal tower.

During the war of the Palatinate inherited many castles of the Rhine valley was destroyed by the French army, the same fate befell the Mouse tower in 1689. The tower was rebuilt in 1855, when the Rhine valley became part of Prussia. The construction was supervised by Ernst Friedrich Tsvirner, the Builder of the Cologne Cathedral. The tower continued to serve as a signal tower from 1850 until 1974.

The tower's name is associated with folk tales about the cruelty of Archbishop Gatton II. Setting unreasonably high prices for grain, he starved the common people to death. He then tricked the starving peasants in a barn which was then set on fire with the words: "Hear a mouse squeak!". For this he was sent Kara over his castle has been invaded by mice, and he had to flee in the same tower. However, the mouse was able to cross the Rhine, to reach the tower on the island and eat the cruel Archbishop alive. It is worth noting that similar legends about the unjust extortion by landowners was widespread during the middle Ages. Moreover, there is a trivial explanation of the origin of the name - arose in the course of history a mistake when writing. The tower was known as the "customs tower", which in German sounds like "Mautturm", but he learned writing the "Mäuseturm", which translates as "mouse tower".

Modern tower building consists of 4 floors and an outdoor terrace, from which rises another tower. The first floor has dressing rooms and a kitchen on the second office tower, the third signal system and mechanisms. Living rooms were on the top of the tower.

To ride by boat by the Mouse castles and castles of the Rhine valley is especially interesting at night on the first Sunday of July when the festival of fireworks "Rhine in flames".

Since 2002, Mouse castle, like all castles of the upper Middle Rhine valley, was included in the list of monuments of cultural heritage of UNESCO.