/ / New Palace Bayreuth: photo description (Neues Schloss Bayreuth)

New Palace Bayreuth: photo description (Neues Schloss Bayreuth)

New Palace in the Bavarian town of Bayreuth was a place of residence of the rulers of this Imperial Principality. Initially, the Margrave residence was located in the neighbouring town of Krumbach, but in 1604 he moved to Bayreuth.

The construction of the castle began in 1753, immediately after a fire destroyed the previous building, known as the "Old Palace". The construction of the new Palace took the court architect Joseph Saint-Pierre, who in the forties was responsible for the construction of the Margrave Opera house. It should be noted that after the fire some of the old building have been preserved, which greatly facilitated restoration work. For example, the former, in addition exposed the Protestant chapel in the Central wing was converted into a ceremonial hall for receptions.

The works lasted about five years and have directly participated in margravine Wilhelmina, sister of the Emperor Frederick the Great. Subsequently, a new residence, like other buildings built by the Margrave couple, became one of the masterpieces of the so-called style of "Bayreuth Rococo". Of course, the scale of this building is not commensurate with, for example, the würzburg residence, however, it is undeniable that the building of the new Palace in Bayreuth is the jewel of the German Palace architecture of the XVIII century.

Of greatest interest are the following facilities: the lavishly decorated Golden hall for receptions and the famous Palm room, where, as expected, held meetings of the local Masonic Lodge.

In 1758 died margravine Wilhelmina, and her husband married for the second time. His new wife was ordered to build to the South of the castle a detached building, designed in Italian style. Were subsequently completed a corridor connecting it with the main building. Now there is the archaeological Museum of the region.

The other part of the Palace is also open for tourist visits, including the Margrave halls. On the first floor of the South wing, serving in the XVIII century art gallery, located about 80 works by German and Dutch painters of the XVII-XVIII centuries. All paintings taken from the collections of various Bavarian museums and art galleries. Also in residence exhibits a collection of Bayreuth faience and held various exhibitions dedicated to urban life Bayreuth during the reign of margravine Wilhelmina.

Around the castle you will find a garden Hofgarten, a masterpiece of Baroque garden art. Its area is 13 hectares. There remained an unfinished sculptural ensemble in 1762, graceful English-style Park of 1789, summerhouse pavilion 1795. The garden is a canal in the middle of which is the picturesque "Swan island". It is interesting that in the far part of the Park in 1872, was built Villa Wahnfried, which served as the residence of the great composer Richard Wagner.