/ / The Abbey Of St Maximin: photo description (Reichsabtei St. Maximin)

The Abbey Of St Maximin: photo description (Reichsabtei St. Maximin)

The Abbey Of St Maximinus was founded in the 4th century and is one of the oldest in Western Europe, as well as the most influential Benedictine monastery in Trier. Unfortunately, numerous wars, fires and destruction are not allowed to preserve buildings in their original form.

Based trickim by Bishop Maximin, the monastery was originally dedicated to Saint John the theologian. Here in 336, St. Maximinus gave shelter to exiled Athanasius the Great. After the death of Maximinus in the year 353 his remains were transported to Trier and buried the monastery Church and the monastery received the name of St. Maximin. Ancient sarcophagus, where lay his body is preserved and exhibited in the courtyard.

In the 6th century, the monastery was reorganized into the Abbey of the Benedictines, and later received the status of Imperial Abbey. In later centuries, the monastery was several times destroyed and rebuilt according to the original plan. In 1674 was completely demolished by French troops and later rebuilt according to the plans of the architect Franz Nisius of Kucista. These buildings, namely the entrance portal and the Church of St. Maximinus, partially preserved to this day.

Since the beginning of the 19th century the monastery was used as barracks, prisons and schools. As a result of the bombing of Trier during the Second world war, the Abbey was destroyed again. Today in the restored buildings is the concert hall with 1200 seats and a private Catholic school.