/ / The ruins of the Roman baths: photos, description (Roemerbadruine Badenweiler)

The ruins of the Roman baths: photos, description (Roemerbadruine Badenweiler)

Badenweiler is a municipality in the district of Freiburg im Breisgau, Federal state of Baden-württemberg. The place has always been a popular resort, and in 1853 the city was opened a sanatorium, where he treated many prominent figures of art and science. It was here in 1904 graduated from the days of the great Russian writer Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, treated tuberculosis.

Badenweiler is located at the border with France and Switzerland, to Basel there are only 28 kilometers. The municipality is part of the black forest and offers an amazing picturesque. Since Roman times the area was used as a thermal resort, and the ruins of some buildings of that era are still preserved.

Originally there lived the Celts, but at the beginning of a new era, they were expelled by the Romans. Highly assessing this area with spouting hot springs, they decided to build here his famous baths (Thermae). The Thermae were devoted to the Gallic goddess Abnoba, which modern historians identificeret as the Roman goddess of the hunt Diana. Interestingly, the ruins of Badenweiler - the oldest building of this Federal land and the best preserved of its kind North of the Alps.

Construction proceeded in several stages. The first structure consisted only of two rooms, but they soon expanded. Then was equipped with changing rooms and a room for cooling (frigidarium), where there was only cold water, was also an enclosed terrace.

In the year 260 to replace the Romans came less civilized Germanic tribes that did not share their love of baths. Many buildings were destroyed. Even more, they were damaged by strong Basel earthquake (1356). About Roman baths is remembered only in the late XVIII century. The Margrave of Baden, made a special cash Fund to restore the ancient Roman architecture and to preserve it for future generations. Now the ruins are open to tourist visits.

In addition to term, the city stood the temple 145 BC, from which almost nothing left. Interestingly, in connection with the fluctuation of the soil the temple was supported by thick oak piles. In its place in the XII century was built the Church of St. Paul, who in 1892 came in so dilapidated a condition that it had to demolish and build anew. During the restoration works there were found remains of ancient Roman walls.