/ / Romanian Stourdza-chapel: photos, description (Stourdza-Kapelle)

Romanian Stourdza-chapel: photos, description (Stourdza-Kapelle)

Romanian Stourdza-chapel - the chapel, built by the architect Leo von Klenze of Munich. After the sudden death of his son in 1863 the Royal family of Romania decided to build in his memory a chapel in the spirit of Orthodox traditions. In 1848 Prince Stourdza, who ruled Moldova, after the revolution and the abdication of the throne, he moved with his family first to Vienna and then to Paris. Summer the whole family was preferred to Baden-Baden where they lived in their own castle, located in the Central part of the city.

The building of the chapel, designed in the style of late classicism, constructed from blocks of Sandstone of white, red and brown. Stacked in layers, they create amazing beautiful contrast with the green garden, and along with four columns supporting the porch, the blocks of Sandstone form a structure with a height of 24 meters. Crowned by the chapel dome and Orthodox cross. On the creation of the interior is the work of artist Ernst Wilhelm Hauschild, who tried to develop the Eastern magnificence in every element of the iconostasis to its high dome.

In 1923, Stourdza-chapel passed into the possession of the city, and after it was included in the list of historical monuments of Germany in 1997, work began on its restoration. For six years the reconstruction was attended by the descendants of the Moldavian Royal family.

In may 2002, the chapel was consecrated by the head of the Romanian Orthodox Church, and next to the chapel was planted magnolias and sequoias.