/ / Market square and Church of virgin Mary: photo description (Hauptmarkt und Frauenkirche)

Market square and Church of virgin Mary: photo description (Hauptmarkt und Frauenkirche)

The most famous Market square in Germany, where the Christmas market was built on the site of the Jewish ghetto in 1349, the year when 600 Jews were burned the day of St. Nicholas. The decoration of the place can be considered a very unusual Church of our lady (Frauenkirche).

The Gothic Church of virgin Mary was built in the mid XIV century by order of Emperor Charles IV. On its pediment in 1509 was set amazing clock operating today. Every day at noon out of hours "published" procession of the figures of the citizens-electors, who shall take an oath to the Emperor. The interior is decorated with Gothic altar, Dating back to 1445.

On the edge of the Market square rises like the spire of a Gothic Church, the column of the beautiful fountain. She had put on one of the churches, but the city had no money and she was placed on a fountain-well. Covered with gold, the fountain is decorated with 40 figures facing each other on four levels. The reason for the fame of this fountain is a ring inserted in a beautiful grid. Still can't understand how it was done. According to legend, a young man, a former apprentice at a locksmith and wishing to marry the daughter of his master, put the ring in one night than he made an indelible impression on his beloved and her father. Since then, residents and tourists touch the ring and make wishes.