/ / The Cathedral Of St. Jadwiga: photos, description (Sankt-Hedwigs-Kathedrale)

The Cathedral Of St. Jadwiga: photos, description (Sankt-Hedwigs-Kathedrale)

The Cathedral of Saint Jadwiga is a majestic Catholic Church located in Berlin on Bebelplatz. Here resides the Archbishop cardinal George Sterzinsky. This beautiful Cathedral was built with the assistance of the king of Prussia Frederick II was called the first Catholic Church established after the reformation, in the eighteenth century.

The temple was built over 26 years, from 1747, and that the construction has attracted a large number of Catholics in the city, who came from Silesia. Saint Jadwiga was the patroness of this region that led to the name of the future Cathedral.

The design of the building engaged an excellent architect Georg Wenzeslaus background Knobelsdorf who approached this case with a special responsibility. He had to build the first Catholic Church, and the result of his labors appeared in the amazing beauty of the Cathedral of St. Jadwiga. He was a real exception taken at the time of the classical forms of temples of this type, in contrast to European "brothers" the Cathedral was made in the style of the Pantheon in Rome.

In German history happened many terrible events, one of which was "crystal night: 9-10 November 1938 there was a bloody pogroms, beating and killing Jews, and Canon of the Cathedral of St. Jadwiga Bernhard Lichtenberg publicly prayed for the afflicted, for he was sent to Dachau concentration camp. Before reaching the place of exile, he died, and his remains in 1965 were transferred to the crypt of the Cathedral, where they are stored to this day.

During the Second world war the Church was seriously damaged by shelling and aircraft was completely destroyed, but in 1963, was completely renovated.