/ / The fortress of Ulm: photo description (Bundesfestung Ulm)

The fortress of Ulm: photo description (Bundesfestung Ulm)

The fortress of Ulm was one of the largest fortifications of Europe in the 19th century. After the departure of Napoleon's army of the German Union had taken a decision to build several fortresses in the country to strengthen security of German States.

The Gothic fortress was erected from 1838 to 1859 to the North of the city under the guidance of architect Moritz Karl Ernst von Prittwitz. This is fairly typical for those times the construction is a polygon with a total length of fortress walls more than 9 km away. situated Inside a multi-storey building barracks, can accommodate 5 thousand soldiers in peacetime and up to 20 thousand in the military. The weapons of the defenders of the fortress were set as walls and the roofs of the barracks. The fortress wall had 6 gates and 2 railway tunnels. At some distance from the fortress on the South side of Ulm was equipped with several well-fortified FORTS. They were designed to protect the city from direct attack. The most strategically important object — the only bridge over the Danube — was inside the fortress. There were plans for further expansion of the Ulm fortress, but they were never implemented. And the appointment of Ulm the fortress has never been used.

During the Second world war, the fortifications were partially destroyed, and the remnants continued to deteriorate for several decades after. Recently a society of enthusiasts-researchers from Ulm fortress was partially restored.