/ / Ulm city hall: photo description (Ulmer Rathaus)

Ulm city hall: photo description (Ulmer Rathaus)

The first historical mention of the building that is today known as the Gothic town hall, belongs to the distant 1370. Then this building was built for trading purposes. The first was built North wing, which, unfortunately, has not survived and exists only on old drawings and plans of the building. The basement of the building for many years was used as a prison. After a while, in 1838, the building was attached to another outbuilding and the house became known as the "Court House". Well, as the city hall building was only a century later, in 1419.

Until our days the old buildings in good condition are preserved southern wing, the hallmark of which is interesting in the form of a stepped gable. In 1520 there was a landmark for the town hall event: it was the most modern for those times the astronomical clock, which was destined to remain a memory for the ages. But that's not all: on the Eastern façade features a glass clock, a sun that also have survived until the present day. In 1540 began the reconstruction of the building, which was completed one facade, North, the hallmark of which was the arcade.

Ulm town hall is famous for its frescoes: the Eastern facade is decorated with interesting and instructive scenes from the old Testament and stories, one way or another pointing to human vices and virtues. And here is another facade - North - richly decorated with mythological scenes, the main purpose which is the glorification of justice, the triumph of male power. The author of the frescoes is a local artist Martin Shaffner.

The building has undergone more than one reconstruction, the biggest came in the period after the Second world war. In the bombing of 1944 was hurt and the building itself, and all the interior, there remained only the southern wing. One of the local attractions - the aircraft model, which was created by Albrecht Ludwig Berblinger.