/ / The Church of virgin Mary: photo description (Liebfrauenkirche)

The Church of virgin Mary: photo description (Liebfrauenkirche)

The Church of virgin Mary is close to Cathedral of St. Peter and is the oldest German Church in the Gothic style. Since 1986, the building is included in the list of objects of UNESCO world heritage along with the buildings of the Roman era in the history of Trier.

The basis for the construction of the Church of the virgin Mary laid the southern part of the Roman Basilica of the age of the Emperor Constantine. By the year 1200 the Millennium the building was demolished because of disrepair, and in 1227 by order of the Archbishop in its place began construction of a new Church. By 1260, it completed the construction of the main building of the temple and the cloister that connects the Church of the virgin Mary Cathedral. Participation in the construction of the new Church, unknown of Lorraine architects defined the style of the buildings: the Gothic style was already widespread in France, was a novelty in Germany.

For a long time the Church was used as a place for burial of the higher clergy of Trier and in a few centuries almost crowded with lots of tombs. After the occupation of Trier by the French troops, a large part of the burials in the Church were destroyed.

In terms of the Church of the virgin Mary has the shape of a rose with twelve petals and protruding semicircle altar adders. The interior of the Church has preserved several historical monuments, statues and gravestones, the most valuable during the restoration were replaced with copies and moved to the Cathedral Museum.