/ / The Church of the blessed virgin Mary outside the city walls: photos, description (St. Maria vom Frieden)

The Church of the blessed virgin Mary outside the city walls: photos, description (St. Maria vom Frieden)

The Church of the blessed virgin Mary outside the city walls - the Catholic Church in Cologne. This kind of the name of the Church was due to the fact that its location was outside the city walls, near the tower, called Ulrepforte.

The history of the Church of the blessed virgin Mary outside the city walls is closely associated with the Carmelite monks and nuns. The city subsequently became the place of refuge of many of the Carmelites, who fled during the Thirty years war in the Netherlands.

Due to the fact that the number of monks rapidly increased, they decided to build a monastery near the walls of the city. And before the future architect of the temple was a task that the building resembled in its appearance the Church of the gesù in Rome. In this period of time in Cologne came a large number of talented artists from France, it is planned to attract for future construction.

The first stone of the convent was founded in 1642, this significant action was done in the presence of the Archbishop of the city of Ferdinand of Bavaria. Unfortunately, construction has stopped for lack of funds and was able to resume only at the end of the XVII century. The Church of the blessed virgin Mary outside the city walls were fully erected in 1716.

Over time the Church has been expecting a lot of changes. During the Second world war the building was badly damaged, its interior and the interior did not have any details. Restoration work ended in 1964, as a result, the building acquired its original features.