/ / The Church of St. Crucis: photo description St. Crucis Kirche

The Church of St. Crucis: photo description St. Crucis Kirche

Evangelical Church St. Crucis is situated in the Hessian town of bad Sooden-Allendorf and is a one-nave Cathedral without a transept. The temple is a masterpiece of Medieval architecture.

In the XIII century in Allendorf met local Thuringian prelature to the same period dates the first mention of the Church of St. Crucis. The modern Church building was completed in 1386, while the bell tower was finished soon after 90 years, in 1476. It reaches 65 meters in height. Preserved parts of Roman masonry, still remaining from the previous structure.

Rays Church roof are supported by buttresses. Interestingly, the original building was built in the shape of a cross, but the transept was burned down in 1637. Miraculously survived choirs, located in the Eastern part of the temple, and built in the Gothic style. Particularly interesting are five large Windows of this room, depicting various scenes from the Bible.

Among the interior decoration is also worth noting the brightly decorated Baroque pulpit Dating back to 1684, and made in the same style confessional. The canopy above the pulpit depicts a Pelican pecking itself in the chest, and thus symbolizing Jesus Christ, who died for our sins.

Before the tower housed a private chapel, but it, too, burned down in a fire in 1637. The portal of the bell tower remains intact, that is, the way it was in the time of construction. A covered gallery on the top of the tower appeared in 1719.

Inside the bell tower is a few old spiral staircases, leading either immured in the course of restoration works the tower's basement or in a Church crypt, to discover that archaeologists have not yet succeeded. However, judging from the preserved tombstones of XIII-XIV centuries, the crypt existed. In the Church itself, too many passes leading to no longer existing offices, for example, in the old sacristy or chapel. They were all immured in the XVIII-XIX centuries. Remained a separate part of the ancient doors made in 1500-1506.

From the bell tower you can go to the galleries on the upper gallery, supported by columns, serving as the "winter" of the Church, as it was much warmer. There is a more modern Baroque staircase, made in the XVIII century. After the reformation both premises were used as a Latin school. In the early XX century it housed the city archives, and now here are the city administration and the Palace of weddings. Only the former baptismal chapel set aside for the conducting of Church services.