/ / Church. Catherine: photo description (Hauptkirche Sankt Katharinen)

Church. Catherine: photo description (Hauptkirche Sankt Katharinen)

Church of St. Catherine is one of five major Evangelical churches in the city of Hamburg. It is located opposite the district of port warehouses (Speicherstadt) in the South of the city, near the former city boundary.

The Church is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the city along with the lighthouse on the island of Neuwerk. Part of its bell tower is dated the XIII century, while the Cathedral itself was rebuilt in the middle of the XV century in typical North German style brick (Hanseatic) Gothic. However, the first mention of the Church dates back to 1256. The temple consists of three naves and choirs. The height of the Central nave reaches 29 meters. In 1657 the bell tower was topped by a Baroque roof, thereby increasing its height to 115 meters. Since its founding, the Church of St. Catherine was considered as the main prayer house sailors.

Unfortunately, during the bombing of July 1943, the building was completely destroyed, survived only freestanding walls and spire. Immediately after the Second world war, extensive restoration work ended in 1957.

Almost all the interior of the Church had to recreate after the war, but some details have managed to save. For example, the Crucifix in the altar belongs to the brush of the famous late Gothic North German artist Wilma Dedace, whose work adorned many of the churches of the neighbouring Hanseatic cities of lübeck and Bremen. Now this picture is in the Hamburg Museum "Kunsthalle". It was also restored wooden sculpture of the XIV century authorship by an unknown painter of the South German school. Modern main portal of the Church is made in Baroque style, but it's not very original, and previously belonged to the house of a local wealthy merchant.

St. Catherine's Church famous for its organ, it existed in the year 1400, and then had been repaired several times. In 1701 there appeared a young Johann Sebastian Bach, just started to learn to play the organ. An ancient organ, and the whole Church was completely destroyed, but some pipes and other items are kept in local stores, and because it became possible to partially restore. In 2009, on the feast of the Passover restored organ was first introduced.

Interestingly, of the 5 only 4 modern bells and executed simultaneously with the restoration of the Cathedral in 1957. There remained the great bell, made in the XVII century.