/ / Church. Cross: photos, description (Kreuzkirche)

Church. Cross: photos, description (Kreuzkirche)

Church of the Holy cross is located in the city centre of düsseldorf - the capital of the Federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is part of the city's Evangelical community. The temple was built in neo-Romanesque style by the order of the last German Emperor Wilhelm II.

The Church is located in the Pempelfort district, which until 1854 existed as an independent settlement. It was previously the estate of von Kallenbach, where from 1827 to 1839 he lived and worked the famous German writer Karl Lebrecht Immermann. Only in 1899 the building was constructed by the Evangelical community, and in the years 1907-1910 at the corner of two streets was built the Church of the Holy cross. The architect of the building became famous Julius Carl Rasdorf, designed years before the Berlin Cathedral. A model for the creation of the Church of the Holy cross was the Cathedral of the other German cities - Speyer, known as the largest Romanesque Church.

Church of the Holy cross in its form resembles an equilateral, the so-called "Greek" cross. It is decorated with five towers, completed graceful tents. Despite the fact that the Church was built in pseudo-Romanesque style, the building is not typical for this style, they are quite large in size and decorated with elaborate arcades.

During the aerial bombardment during the Second world war badly damaged the window, the bell tower and the roof of the Church. However, in 1950 the Cathedral was re-consecrated and restored, with the exception only of the stained glass Windows that were completed in the early sixties. The Church organ was manufactured in 1966. Despite what happened during the war, a fire, numerous bronze reliefs of the century, made by local sculptor Georg von Bohannon, managed to save.