/ / Arsenal: photos, description (Zeughaus)

Arsenal: photos, description (Zeughaus)

The history of Ulm Arsenal (Zeughaus) was begun in the 14th century, the first documented references date back to the year 1433. As the name implies, the inhabitants of the free Imperial city of Ulm used this building as a weapons cache. For several centuries they kept the cannon balls, bombs, and more. From time to time, the Arsenal was used not for its intended purpose, and as the Imperial mint or warehouse pieces of important urban structures such as bridges and water mains. On the square in front of the Arsenal, the inhabitants of Ulm also held various important meetings.

The original building of Ulm Arsenal several times considerably expanded due to new buildings. Extant building, the so-called New Arsenal was built in 1667. It is decorated with faceted stone framing Windows and doors decoration in the Baroque style.

In the late 18th century the contents of the Arsenal was seized by the Austrians under the pretext of protection from the advancing French troops. Since then, values worth two million guilders had not seen. With the end of the era of the free Imperial city in 1808, the Arsenal was converted into military barracks, and remained in that capacity until 1919. During the Second world war, the building of the Old Arsenal was completely destroyed. The rest of the complex in 1977 was restored to its original form. But today, they fully demonstrate the economic achievements of the medieval Ulm.