/ / Church. Thomas: photos, description (Thomaskirche)

Church. Thomas: photos, description (Thomaskirche)

The Church of St. Thomas is one of the oldest churches of Leipzig, which is famous due to the fact that in 1539, in this majestic building was preached by Martin Luther, the "father" of the reformation. In the XVIII century for the last thirty years it has served as Cantor of a local choir, the famous German composer Johann Sebastian Bach. It is prayed that the ashes of the great composer was moved here in 1949 and is buried under the bronze tombstone.

As a result of earlier archaeological excavations it was determined that the site of the Church of St. Thomas previously occupied by a Romanesque Church, Dating back to the XII century. Some fragments represented parts of the foundations date back to the year 1160 and stored in the altar of the Church. In 1355 the ancient temple was already rebuilt in the Gothic style.

After the Church had few more rearrangements, but with the end of the XV century and for four hundred years she has remained, with the exception of one of the towers, which were rebuilt in 1702. The roof has a pretty steep angle, reaching 63 degrees, among of internal furniture nothing remained of the interior in the Baroque style, as a result of reconstruction of the XIX century it was replaced by neo-Gothic decor.

Inside St. Thomas Church there is a marble baptismal font with pictures of various biblical scenes, made by Franz Deteberkom. On the walls of the altar are the ancient portraits of the pastors of the city, the earliest of which date back to the year 1614. Carved wooden chair - one of the few things that has survived since Bach's lifetime. The temple also has tombstones of the era of the XV-XVI centuries, the oldest of them belongs to the knight Hermann von Harras.

As a result of military actions of the 40-ies of XX century Church of St. Thomas is practically not affected. Have been lost and only one stained glass window of the temple, which was replaced in 2000 for a new one, created by the architect Hans-Gottfried von Stockhausen.