/ / The Bayreuth festival theatre: photos, description (Richard-Wagner-Festspielhaus)

The Bayreuth festival theatre: photos, description (Richard-Wagner-Festspielhaus)

Festival theatre in the Bavarian town of Bayreuth was built on the initiative of the great German composer Richard Wagner. It should be noted that the city was already a theater: Baroque Margrave Opera house in the middle of XVII century. However, its well-known festivals of Wagner required the new building.

The theater is located in the Northern part of the city. During the construction of the largely used plans Opera house in Munich, which was never implemented. It should be noted that the implementation of this project in Bayreuth was held without permission of the author of the drawings of the architect Gottfried Semper, and was prompted by Wagner. The construction was paid for personally by the king of Bavaria - Ludwig II, but the money is still not enough, and Wagner had to raise funds, performing throughout Europe for two years. The opening of the theatre happened in August 1876, and was marked by the first performance of the Opera cycle "der Ring des Nibelungen" by Wagner. The exterior of the building is made in accordance with the era of the portal is decorated with a triangular pediment and a balcony, supported by columns, the walls decorated with ornaments typical of the late nineteenth century.

Interestingly the interior of the theatre: there are no galleries and balconies and the orchestra pit is hidden from the viewer, not to distract him from the view. Thus, the orchestra is under the stage. The scene appears visually doubled and distant from the public. Also in the audience observed this acoustic balance, makes impossible the execution of another music, different from Opera. The interior wood. We can say that the arrangement of the festival theatre fully meets innovative the idea of the Wagner of the "ideal" theatre.

The theatre performed only Opera works of Richard Wagner, often in the framework of the annual summer Theatre festival.