/ / Benedictine Abbey of St. Matthias: photos, description (Benediktinerabtei St. Matthias)

Benedictine Abbey of St. Matthias: photos, description (Benediktinerabtei St. Matthias)

The Church of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Matthias (Apostle, chosen to replace Judas) — the Roman Basilica is an important center of Christian pilgrimage. Here, since the 12th century, is venerated tomb of the Apostle Matthias, in whose honor and was named the Abbey. Originally it was named the first Bishop of Trier St. Eucharius.

History of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Matthias began in the 5th century with the construction of the Church for the burial of the remains of the founders of Trier Archbishopric of saints Eucharius and Valerius, graves which have been preserved and are also objects of worship of many pilgrims. The relics of the Apostle Matthias was brought to Trier, the mother of Emperor Constantine Helena, and in 1127 was re-discovered during the demolition of the previous and the new building of the monastery Church.

The flow of pilgrims has led to spiritual and economic prosperity of the Abbey, which lasted until the mid-15th century. The future of war and looting, and conflicts with the Bishop led to the decline of the monastery. In 1802 it was finally disbanded and its buildings were used as houses and for agricultural purposes.

Only in 1922 the complex of buildings was again consecrated in the monastery returned to the Benedictine monks. Now the Central Church of the Abbey — the Basilica of St. Matthias ' has four functions: monastic and a parish Church, a place of pilgrimage to the burial place of the Apostle and the Church of Eucharius and Valerius. Taking into account the different needs it was enlarged, restored and expanded. The last solemn consecration of the reconstructed altar was held on 24 February 2008.