/ / Brandenburg gate: photo, description (Brandenburger Tor)

Brandenburg gate: photo, description (Brandenburger Tor)

Brandenburg gate - an architectural monument, located in the Central Mitte district of Berlin, the square Pariserplatz.

In 1688 the town-fortress Berlin there were several gates in the fortress wall. After the Thirty years war the town began to grow, in this regard, were built new city walls - first of wood and then of stone, to give a unified style. Brandenburg gate was part of the customs system of the city at that time - walls, where merchants paid taxes.

The appearance of the Brandenburg gate

The author of the Brandenburg gate, the arch - master of architecture Carl Gotthard von Langhans. They were commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm II in the years 1781-1791 in the ancient Greek style, copied from the arch of the Propylaea to the Parthenon.

The gate is made of stone and lined with the light Sandstone that is exposed time changed the color. Base gates - twelve columns in two rows, form a wider center opening, and two identical apertures on both sides. The height of the Brandenburg gate is 26 meters, the length is about 66 feet, the total thickness of the colonnades is 11 meters. On the ceiling a sculptural composition - the winged goddess of victory Victoria, the reigning cart with four horses. The Central passage intended for the passage of royalty and ambassadors of foreign powers, for the rest of citizens and guests were opened side passages. On each side of the arch there is extension in which the statues of the war God Mars and the goddess of wisdom Minerva.

It should be noted that originally the gate was called the Gate of the world, and four horses drove Irene goddess of peace with an olive branch - the work of Johann Gottfried Schadow. After 1806, Berlin had surrendered to the troops of Napoleon, the Quadriga was transported to Paris, and after the victory over the French in 1814, was solemnly returned to the place, but remade Friedrich Schinkel in the form of the chariot of goddess Victoria, with the order "cross of Iron" in hand.

The twentieth century and modernity

In 1918-20 through the Central passage of the gate passed a column of soldiers, in 30 years, the Brandenburg gate was the backdrop for torchlight processions, rallies and parades of the national socialists. During the Second world war most of the buildings on the square Pariserplatz was completely destroyed. The Brandenburg gate and many monuments, was severely damaged, and the Quadriga was destroyed, because the fascist regime has made every effort to make the song its own character. In 1945, at the top of the bridge waving a red flag, which was filmed in 1957.

The restoration of the gate was carried out jointly by the governments of West and East Berlin, the Quadriga was restored, the passage through the main arch has been resolved. When in 1961, in one night erected the Berlin wall, the Brandenburg gate was closed to the public residents of both parts of the city. Access from the GDR were covered by special protections.

Before the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989, the Brandenburg gate remained closed monument. The first main passage after a long break came Helmut Kohl. Quadriga again suffered, this time for celebrating the fall of the Berlin wall and the unification of the country. Found old prints of the sculptural group was restored to its original form.

The last restoration of the gate took place in 2000-2002. Due to the exhausts of traffic gate required painting. The people of Berlin were asked to choose the color with the representation of the four reduced copies, are painted in different colors. The results of the vote won white.

Currently part of the area prohibited the movement of vehicles, and through the arch gate.

Note

  • Location: Berlin, Pariser Platz 1.
  • Nearest metro: station "Brandenburger Tor" metro U is 55, or light rail S-Bahn S-1, S-2, S-25.